Friday, 4 August 2017

'Mental Health Nurse training programmes: involving survivor voices' @FionaCMcQueen

Prof Fiona McQueen
Here is an Email letter just written, to Prof Fiona McQueen, Chief Nursing Officer Scottish Government, copied in to Prof Hugh Masters, Associate Chief Nursing Officer, Scottish Government, Dr Rosie Stenhouse, Mental Health Nurse Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, and Others:

Strapline: Mental Health Nurse training programmes: involving survivor voices

Dear Fiona

I am writing to you again with a topic that I think is important, the involvement of survivor voices in Scottish MH Nurse training programmes.

From what I witnessed when taking part in Abertay and Dundee University MH Nurse training, 2012/13, there were various issues or flaws in the recruitment and selection process, and the way in which people with lived experience were involved.  To reiterate, I'm an experienced, qualified, community educator and facilitator of training, since the 1980's in the field.  Here is my Biography page on the blog:
http://chrysmuirheadwrites.blogspot.co.uk/p/bio.html

The abusive treatment of my son by Stratheden IPCU MH Nurses in February 2012 impacted on my involvement in nurse training.  This is understandable.  We exposed, whistleblowed, about the locked seclusion room with no toilet, light, drinking water, the fact that my son was left for hours unobserved.  I made an FOI request for observation reports, there were none, according to then General (Nurse) Manager Bob McLean, now retired.  My son had to defecate on the floor of the cell, then when still no-one came he did a dirty protest which, together with the bare feet and underpants move from Lomond Ward by Porters, led to my "winning" the Ombudsman complaint against NHS Fife.

Dr Rosie Stenhouse's PhD thesis was on patient safety, however I maintain that this is flawed.  A nurse researching psychiatric inpatient treatment cannot be independent.  Her supervisor was Nurse Steve Tilley.  Her thesis was marked by Nurse Phil Barker.  I contend that psychiatric inpatients wouldn't be free to tell a nurse everything about their treatment if it was abusive.  Fear of retaliation, retribution, payback.  Which is what happened to us after I reported poor nursing practice in Lomond Ward, summer of 2010.  I witnessed many inappropriate behaviours by nurses and told various people in authority, including Geoff Huggins, then Head of Mental Health Division at Scottish Government, and Dr Donny Lyons, CEO of Mental Welfare Commission.

I'm not happy about Dr Stenhouse's treatment of me during the PhD preparation, the fact that she was instrumental in scuppering my Safe haven crisis House research.  She met with Prof Schwannauer without me present and took charge at our final supervision meeting, trying to put me in my place.  This was out of line and is nothing to do with 'Developing and Maintaining Therapeutic Relationships'.  I did not raise an official complaint about Stenhouse, showing compassion because of her head/eye injury caused by her hobby of horse-riding.  But I do believe that she scuppered my research plans.  This has happened on various occasions with Dr Stenhouse where she did not respect my survivor/carer voice, enough, wasn't considerate of my situation.  After my son was abused Dr Stenhouse reframed his treatment objectively, from the nurse perspective.  I remember this.

Therefore I am even more convinced of the need for psychiatric survivor voices teaching and mentoring within the Mental Health Nurse training programmes at Scottish Universities (this could be achieved by remunerating with honorariums and travel expenses).  I'm concerned that there will be a continuation of abusive psychiatric nursing practices because lecturers are not independent or do not have the appropriate reflective practitioner skills and abilities to properly equip new MH Nurses for the tasks they will have to deal with.

I believe that MH Nurses deserve the best of training and teaching in reflective practice, self awareness, human rights issues, social justice, how to stand with patients and carers, how to stand against abusive cultures, keeping themselves and others safe from being dehumanised.  Survivor voices like mine, qualified reflective practitioners, can add value to MH Nurse training programmes, bringing insight and learning.

I hope that you are listening to my voice Professor McQueen.  I'm not prepared to be quiet or to put up with bad practice.  I know my worth, I'm not worth less.

Yours sincerely,  

Chrys

cc Prof Hugh Masters; Dr Rosie Stenhouse; Prof Matthias Schwannauer; Prof Charlotte Clarke; Robin Ion; Mike Ramsay


Chrys Muirhead

Safe Houses for Psychosis

writer, researcher, activist; cyclist, photographer, gardener, swimmer

ChrysMuirheadWrites.blogspot.co.uk
 
@ChrysMuirhead



No comments:

Post a Comment