Tuesday, 19 January 2016

NES commissioned review of EbE in DClinPsy training - update from Director of Training Psychology Services

Email response received yesterday from Judy Thomson, Director of Training for Psychology Services, NHS Education for Scotland:

Strapline: Nes commissioned review EBE involvement in Psychology Training 

"Dear Chrys,

In reply to your questions about progress with the review -  the
process of getting the review underway has taken longer than I had
originally hoped.

DClinPsy Edinburgh

I am pleased to report that following detailed discussions with stakeholders we advertised for an organisation to undertake the review on the Public Contracts Scotland website. The closing date for applications was last Friday. I should be able to report on the selection of an organisation in the next 4-6 weeks.

Best wishes


Judy"

In response to my Email sent 17 January 2016:

"I am writing to you regarding the two DClinPsy user carer or EbE groups at Edinburgh and Glasgow Universities, and the update on what's happening, regarding the meaningful involvement of people with "lived experience" in the training of clinical psychologists in Scotland.

You did say last June 2015 that you would regularly update me.  That hasn't happened.  I am hoping that it is just an oversight and not that nothing has been happening?
DClinPsy Glasgow
 


I have heard very little from anyone about the CUSP or APEX groups.  To remind you, I was on both groups for about 3 years from their inception in 2011.  I attended two Stakeholder events in Edinburgh and took part in CBT and IPT workshops at the Wolfson, Glasgow, as part of my involvement on the CUSP group.  I left that group suddenly because I felt that my views were not appreciated or respected, in particular to do with children and ECT.  At the last meeting I attended in Glasgow I felt that I was bullied by other group members.  One of whom was a paid worker with a voluntary sector mental health organisation ....... .

I stopped being involved with the APEX Edinburgh group because it seemed that after 3 years we were not getting to work with trainees.  Latterly I was invited to take part in a psychosis seminar but wasn't involved in any planning.  It seemed like a last-minute affair.  Filling in a slot.  Telling my story, sharing my life experiences, and not being part of the team.  Having to chase up any expenses or payment after the event.  I felt very unappreciated.  Especially considering my qualifications and life experience of community work, project management, lecturing and facilitating training to a wide variety of people over 30 years.

I look forward to hearing your update on how NES is being serious about the involvement of people with "lived experience" of mental health problems and recovery on your clinical psychology training courses.  I am still interested in what's happening.  I haven't given up hope of EbE being meaningfully involved in Scotland's mental health world even if I haven't seen any evidence of it.  Yet.

Regards, Chrys"

-----------------------

Previous correspondence:

17 January 2016: NES commissioned review of EbE in DClinPsy training - is there any update? no information in last 6 months 

13 June 2015: continuing dialogue by Email with the Director of Training for Psychology Services at NES

25 May 2015: NES Training Director Psychology Services response re EbE involvement: nothing to report; I'm looking for ACTION 

18 May 2015: Letter to NES Director of Training for Psychology Services: what's happening re EbE involvement in DClinPsy training Scotland? 

6 March 2015: "I was a founding member of both the CUSP and APEX groups": DClinPsy dialogue with NES Director


No comments:

Post a Comment