Tuesday, 18 August 2015

"Lies, damned lies and statistics"; datacosmology

"Figures often beguile me," Mark Twain wrote, "particularly when I have the arranging of them myself; in which case the remark attributed to Disraeli would often apply with justice and force: 'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'" Chapters from My Autobiography, published in the North American Review in 1906


 


"Lies, Damned Lies and Statistics: A few years ago I thought that I had successfully tied down the origin of this quotation. I concluded that it came from Lord Courtney in 1895 as explained below, but it now appears virtually certain that, whoever first thought of it, it was not Lord Courtney. The origin is still uncertain, but if it originated with any one well-known figure, the most likely candidate is Sir Charles Dilke." 
University of York, Department of Mathematics

-----------------------

blog post on Integration and Reshaping Care

"understand the lived experience of service users" says Mr Huggins, Acting Director for Health & Social Care Integration

[Email from Geoff Huggins on 24 June 2014 that caused me pain, wounding me with its underlying blaming and shaming]


NHS Scotland: My Next Step Images

-----------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment