Tuesday, 14 July 2015

"your proposal ... is too distant" says Dr Miller re Science Fiction/Medical Humanities call for papers

Dr Miller bio page Glasgow Uni
I got a response today 14 July 2015 from Dr Gavin Miller, Glasgow University, regarding my question:

Science Fiction and the Medical Humanities - call for papers: "Will you accept a narrative style of prose?" 

"Dear Chrys
Thanks for getting in touch. My feeling is that your proposal – though interesting in itself – is too distant from the interests of the call, which is focussed more toward analysis  of cultural representations, be they science fiction proper, or science fictional elements in medical culture.
Best wishes
Gavin"

I thanked Dr Miller and said that, regardless of his advice, "maybe someone else who is judging may think my writing is of worth, to be published in the journal".  

I will consider submitting a paper.  Closing date 1 March 2016.  Giving it my best shot, a narrative style but with analysis of cultural representations and referring to my father's science fiction writing.  It will be a challenge to enjoy, as much about the process as the outcome.  Whether it is accepted or rejected. 

-------------------------

In responding to Dr Miller I remembered that we had previous interactions through my attendance at the RD Laing conference October 2014 which he chaired part of, when I wrote a critical blog post about my experience at the event:

encountering RD Laing at the Glasgow University event on 10 October 2014

"I saw and heard him (RD Laing) but not in the lecturing and academic posturing, the talking down to us and the shooshing, the tales of drunkenness and of buildings, the history and factual information, and of books to sell. ..." 

"I saw something of him in the personhood of a man I know, a professor and researcher, who got alongside the women and mothers at this event, listening to us and being with us.  I noticed it when first entering the refreshment room how he was in conversation with a woman that was more of a being with her.  Listening. ..."

"I also saw something of him in the presentation from the last speaker whose philosophy is similar to mine (we're facebook friends) and who told stories of the Philadelphia Association communities.  The legacy of RD Laing.  He spoke in the voices of the people who had been mad and were helped in the PA community, by being there and having people go with them through the madness. 

It's a small world.


No comments:

Post a Comment