Sunday, 5 April 2015

double act: Recovery and NMD? (twitter conversations, SRN Director & DAIS psychiatrist, Abertay Uni MH nursing)

I just happened to come upon a series of tweets late Saturday night, 4 April 2015, by the Abertay University senior lecturer in mental health nursing, the Scottish Recovery Network Director and the Consultant Psychiatrist for NMD (or brain surgery for mental illness, anterior cingulotomy) at the Dundee Advanced Interventions Service.  Where they are proposing a double act.  From the "critical perspective" in MH.

They copied in the Associate Chief Nursing Officer at Scottish Government who I assume must be a close buddy of the nursing programme, the recovery network and the NMD service:



I couldn't resist joining the conversation, a few days late:


Although I did a jokey response and some other more pithy replies I admit to being irritated at the ease with which the SRN Director proposed a joint session with the psychiatrist who is at the forefront of promoting neurosurgery for mental disorder in Scotland. 

[see my blog page on Dr David Christmas's MD Thesis 'Functional neurosurgery for intractable mental disorder: long term effects on mental health, neuropsychological performance, social function, and quality of life', December 2006]

Here is another of my responses, to the Associate Chief Nursing Officer:



and another where I challenge the mention of "critical":


I've sent an Email to the tweeters, explaining why I felt compelled to join their twitter conversation.  In 2011/2012 I was employed to deliver sessions on recovery to Abertay University mental health nursing students until my services were dispensed with, after my son had his human rights abused in the Stratheden Hospital IPCU in February 2012.

I am concerned that the mental health nursing students at Abertay University are not receiving a balanced programme of teaching, representative of a range of critical voices from people with lived experience who live locally.  For psychiatric system cultures to change and improve we need well trained psychiatric nurses who understand the carer, service user and psychiatric survivor perspective.  In my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment