Wednesday, 25 March 2015

@Ayrshirehealth blog post: Here I am, back for a while by @sallymag1; and my comment

'Here I am, back for a while' by Sally Magnusson @sallymag1 on Ayrshire Health blog, 23 March 2015

Where memories go"My mother had dementia. In my book Where Memories Go: Why Dementia Changes Everything I describe how the songs she had gaily sung throughout her life began to play an ever bigger part in how we looked after her.

The songs she knew, and that her children also knew through lifelong immersion – everything from the Inkspots to the Sound of Music, the Hallelujah Chorus to the ‘Northern Lights of Old Aberdeen’ – gradually became not just an excuse for a party but a conscious device to keep us connected to her and her to herself. ...  read complete blog post"

My comment on @Ayrshirehealth:

Glad to read this post about the difference that music and singing can make in the care of people with dementia. The Playlist for Life sounds a very positive project, a way of engaging and keeping the lines of communication open. I’d also like to see the same in general mental health and psychiatric settings, in acute wards, open and secure.

I recently attended the second Scottish Music and Health Network (SMHN) event in Edinburgh, the afternoon session which had various presentations on how music improved health, communication and quality of life:
http://www.smhn.hss.ed.ac.uk/groups/developing-research-music-and-health

I had previously attended their first conference in 2014 and been inspired. My family are all musicians, including my 2 younger sisters, 3 sons and me. My oldest son, 38, is leaving his job in the oil industry this year to study a Masters in Music Therapy at Queen Margaret’s University.


at SMHN event 2Mar15
The Music in Hospitals charity whose patron is Sally Magnusson does some great work, taking live music into wards: http://www.musicinhospitalsscotland.org.uk/

Classical musicians sharing their expertise and musicality. I know they have been in some of the wards at Stratheden Hospital, Fife, near where I live. I’d also like to see them in the acute psychiatric wards. Music, listening and playing, can bring healing and is a very therapeutic process, in my experience and that of my family.


SMHN afternoon programme 2 March 2015



No comments:

Post a Comment