Saturday, 24 January 2015

my "brain surgery for mental illness" comment on 'Lowlights of Royal College of Psychiatrists' conference' Critical Psychiatry blog


'Lowlights of Royal College of Psychiatrists' conference' post on Critical Psychiatry blog and my comment:

"Yes Dr Double, I agree with your strapline and go further in criticism of the push to do anterior cingulotomy or ACING as a valid treatment for the drugs and ECT not working.

The Dundee Advanced Interventions Service:
http://advancedinterventions.org.uk/
are spearheading this work, under the leadership of Prof Keith Matthews, ably assisted by his colleague Dr David Christmas, whose MD Thesis I have devoted a whole page to on my main blog:
http://chrysmuirheadwrites.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page.html

I am planning to work my way through Dr Christmas's 431 page thesis doing a critique from the psychiatric survivor perspective. 3 blog posts done so far and I've hardly got past the abstract and introduction.

My latest post, Wednesday past, has title: "going back to the abstract @dchristmas (the first cut is the deepest)", where I look at the research targets, the 28 people over a 14 year period who were subject to ACING or ACAPS (the capsulotomy version not now done in Dundee).

What bothered me was the two patients who had things go a bit wrong, a haemorrhage during and a seizure after the surgery. A risky business. And I'm not hearing any voices of patients in the writing, as yet. What made them ask for it? Was it all the attention that made a difference.

I know of one woman who had the ACING, wrote a book about it, how she had an amazing recovery (Life After Darkness), 2004/5 time, Cathy Wield, doctor by trade. And then in 2012/13 the suicidal depression came back, worse than ever. She said the ECT worked this time around, done in Aberdeen, plus the prayer and support from her church. Here is my blog post about it, with links:
http://chrysmuirheadwrites.blogspot.co.uk/2014/07/life-after-darkness-nmd-ninewells.html


I have great concerns about the focus on the brain and fiddling among the grey cells. Looking in the wrong place for the cause of "mental illness" as I see it. They need to look at the whole person, body, mind, spirit/soul, call it what you like. The bit about us that asks "why are we here? what is the point of it all?". The existential angst common to anyone with a thinking mind and brain."


No comments:

Post a Comment