Friday, 29 August 2014

centre of excellence?

What makes a university mental health nursing course a centre of excellence? Because they say so then is it so?  I don't think so.

I say this because I was involved with this university from the "lived experience" perspective, employed on occasion to deliver Wellness Recovery Action Planning (WRAP) to students and other plans were in the pipeline.  Then suddenly I was dropped unceremoniously.  Dumped.

Only to find out later on that they had formed relationships with other Scottish mental health organisations who had in the past excluded me from WRAP and Peer Support events.  

One of these organisations had taken my idea, a draft descriptor for an HNC Peer Support unit developed in partnership with a Cupar college head of care, in late 2007, showed it to government then left me out of any discussions from then on in, with SQA, although I asked on a number of occasions to be included.  Nothing to be proud of there.

You can't build a centre of excellence by stepping on people with lived experience or by using them then excluding them.  It leaves a bad taste in the mouth and isn't the way to win friends and influence people.  

The university is in my local area and I have another family member starting a degree there next month who I'll be mentoring and scribing for.  Therefore this blog post is to let the university mental health nursing programme leaders and their associates know that I won't be forgetting how I was treated.  

I've got over it now and am busy with other stuff however if they treated me like that then they are likely to be doing the same with others.  People need to know what is going on.

Using a person (a carer and psychiatric survivor) then discarding them is not a demonstration of excellence.  In my opinion.  


No comments:

Post a Comment