Tuesday, 10 June 2014

going off on a tangent

[Latin tangent: present participle of tangere to touch]

Let's be quite clear.  Going off on a tangent can be, and is on occasion, a deliberate ploy, a manoeuvre, a tactic so as to change direction, perspective, topic or focus. To move a conversation on to a different plane.

Yay!
Someone yesterday accused me of this, as if it was a fault or negative characteristic of my personality, a sign of mental disorder or mental illness, a defect or a failing.  

This is to set them straight.  It's what I do and have always done.  I find it an asset to be able to suddenly go off in a different direction.

The fact that I suddenly lead them in a different path and they find themselves following.  

And so they resist.  Which is OK.  But don't start ganging up on me boys.  That's an unfair action and shows your weakness not your strength.

I'm mathematically minded, a systems thinker, and tangents were always OK for me in geometry and trigonometry.  I liked to work with them.  It keeps you on your toes.  The skill is in bringing a person back on track from going off on a tangent without forcing them.  There's the challenge.  

However you may just have to hold on tight and enjoy the tangential experience Being out of control might bring you into a new way of thinking and being.

As for me I always get some enjoyment out of it.  Being non-conformist and a resistant fighter.

Here's tae us!  Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment