Friday, 16 May 2014

my Storify of tweets from Open Dialogue London seminar 3/4 May 2014

Here is a link to my Storify of tweets from Open Dialogue London seminar 3/4 May 2014

"Second weekend seminar at the Round Chapel, Hackney, London, hosted by Nick Putman and involving Jaakko Seikkula, Mia Kurtti and Markku Sutela from the Open Dialogue project, Tornio, Finland."

my father William Patterson
"My tweets from the London Open Dialogue UK seminar 2nd weekend.  I flew down from Edinburgh on the Saturday morning early 3 May and managed to get to Hackney by 10am for the start.  I did some sightseeing on the Saturday evening, getting a bus down to London Bridge then walked along to St Paul's Cathedral, on Sunday morning early also.  When I took another bus from my hotel to Trafalgar Square.  

I enjoy visiting London where my father was a writer with the Daily Express in Fleet St, 1956-1969, scripting Jeff Hawke, a sci-fi comic strip which became very successful.  Sydney Jordan was the illustrator and original creator of the character.  Jordan and my dad were childhood friends in Perth, Scotland, where I and my family lived.  The Jeff Hawke stories that my father wrote were republished by Titan Books, twice, in 1986 the year he died at age 57, and in 2008: in volumes The Ambassadors and Overlord.  

 

"Widely considered as one of the most important sci-fi comic strips ever published, "Jeff Hawke" is a benchmark in intelligent, adult-oriented storytelling! Jeff Hawke's not your average space-hero; focused on reasoning, diplomacy and moral virtues instead of brute force, he is frequently forced to be the ambassador - rather than the saviour - of mankind!  His universe is populated with alien species that meet humankind by accident or for commerce, but hardly ever for invasion. Patterson's subtle wit makes the strip's plots and characters as fascinating as they are amusing, and Jordan's highly expressive style fully captures the strangeness of the weird and wonderful aliens of Jeff's universe!"  on Amazon UK."






I have decided not to attend the 3rd and final Open Dialogue London seminar at the end of May.  Although there were many interesting and useful parts to the information sessions, the facilitators committed in their openness, I found the overall approach to be more clinical than I'd hoped for.  I'm looking for grassroots, peer led/run movements where survivors and people with "lived experience" are at the helm and at the centre of change.  Experts by experience leading and setting agendas.  That's the way to do it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment