Thursday, 17 April 2014

my latest blog post on SPSP-MH - Scottish Patient Safety Programme for Mental Health

My latest blog post on SPSP-Mental Health: 'nothing to report':

"I wonder what's happening in Fife regarding patient safety improvements in psychiatric settings?

I ask this question because I really don't know what's going on in Stratheden Hospital, near where I live and where I was a psychiatric inpatient back in 2002, and more recently my youngest son, on a number of occasions.  We found it to be a very risky experience as an inpatient for all sorts of reasons, not least the lack the resource but also to do with poor management.

For me to know what's really going on regarding patient safety improvements in Stratheden then I'd need to ask the patients themselves and the carers, to find out what they were saying about it.  I'm not going to believe the reports which in the past said everything was fine.  And then I found out that wasn't the case.  It's a matter of trust.  

I did an FOI request about 6 months or more ago, to NHS Fife, regarding their procedures for gathering patient and carer feedback in Stratheden Hospital.  I'm still waiting for an answer.  I did get a selection of completed forms that were random and told me nothing about procedures.  I wanted to know how thorough the monitoring and evaluation of inpatient/carer feedback was.  For I know that when my son was a patient we didn't receive any feedback forms to complete.  I wondered if they only asked the folk who had a positive experience to feedback?  Who knows.  It's a mystery.

I have found that the more questions you ask NHS Fife about their policies, procedures, monitoring and evaluation, in psychiatric settings, the less information you receive and the door is closed firmly in your face.  They don't seem to be accountable to the public who pay their wages.  And it tells me that they don't have the systems in place to monitor what they do.  Has no-one been asking them to justify their existence?  I wonder.


No comments:

Post a Comment