Saturday, 5 April 2014

alligators, swamps and #humanrights at #seeme14

Prof Alan Miller, Scottish Human Rights Commission, spoke on Thursday at the #seeme14 re-founding anti-stigma campaign event on the "human rights based approach".

[thanks to David for retelling this to me on the Friday, I hope it's an accurate representation of his words]

Comment and question to Prof Miller:

"Trying to get hold of human rights is like trying to get a grip of a handful of steam.

On the North Sea I worked with Louisiana oil men who used to say: 'When you're up to your ass in alligators it isn't the time to be draining the swamp' .

Why is it so difficult in today's Scotland when having experience of mental illness to access your human rights?"

I don't remember the question being answered although I do remember Prof Miller saying something about "capacity":





No comments:

Post a Comment