Friday, 21 February 2014

reflecting on the shootout at the OK Corral

Thinking on what led to the targeting and shootout at the meeting a week ago, it was the ganging up and takeover last year, following my invitation to speak out, that led to the showdown.  It sounds complicated but stick with it, there are lessons to be learned.

Some of the folks wanted to take a chance last year and meaningfully involve a survivor like me, not just in the administration but in the leading.  I'd been in the gang for over 2 years and it seemed like I had a place at the table, was an equal, and to some folk I was an equal.  But to others I was an old pretender.

On the day in question it seemed to go well although in the body of the kirk not everyone was happy.  I could see this from the podium during my speech.  However I expected my fellow gang members to step up, to be in solidarity.  It wasn't to be.

I've got to admit it.  They were feart.  When the hecklers started my compatriots turned tail and joined with the nays, ganging up on me.  But I wouldn't lie down and take it.  Resistance is what I'm used to.  So I resisted.  I was very annoyed and potshots were fired.  Low blows to which I retaliated with strength.

Meanwhile the high heid yin, the leader of the gang, had disappeared from the scene.  As usual.  His female counterpart, on much less dosh, was left to pick up the pieces.  What's new.  The niggling continued in Email engagement, between me and my opponent.  Obviously his pride had been dented and he was offended.

Yet I was the one who had been ganged up on, an auld mother and volunteering conscript.  It wasn't fair and I'm someone who will not back down if there is a perceived injustice.  It's a matter of principle.  I wouldn't have survived mental illness and psychiatric treatment if I was a quitter.

Cue action and the meeting at the OK Corral.  Conflict was inevitable.  I'd thrown down the gauntlet by writing a piece about the ganging up.  I was out for justice.  And so the shootout began, insults hurling back and forward, the rich folk taking sides and taking offence, getting wounded, retreats and advances.  A messy affair.  

The high heid yin, as usual, wasn't there to see it but got his oar in after the battle.  Huh.  I'm not impressed.  Reminds me of the mental welfare commission who do the same.  Wise after the event.  Huh.  Nothing safe about that whatsoever.  Very risky.

As for me, I'd do the same again and have no regrets.  You can't let the ******* grind you down as a professor of nursing used to say to me. 


No comments:

Post a Comment