Sunday, 15 December 2013

the great divide

Scotland's new mental health strategy continues its bed-sharing with psychiatry in separating the sheep from the goats, the common mental health problems from severe and enduring mental illness (SEMI).  And consigns those of us who experience psychosis to the scrap heap of psychiatric drugging and lifelong disability.

Let's not kid ourselves that we've tackled stigma and discrimination in anything like the way it should be challenged.  At the root of the problem which is psychiatric labelling and disabling.  The silencing of critical voices will not serve anyone nor ensure that the human rights of mentally ill people are protected.

I should know.  They've been trying to exclude my voice from the table since getting involved in 2008.  They want to do it "their way".  Cronyism, back slapping and not rocking the boat.  Huh.  I say rock the boat whenever possible.  The waters aren't calm for those of us labelled SEMI, sequestered in the cul-de-sac where might is right and capacity is only in the eyes of the beholder.

Well I refused to stay in the SEMI and have become detached.  I've crossed the great divide and had to do it myself.  I'm not popular with the "in crowd" but couldn't give a monkey's.  Let them kowtow and suck up.  It's just a load of hierarchical nonsense which I won't be entertaining.

I'd rather be a survivor than a sucker, any day.  So there.





No comments:

Post a Comment