Friday, 1 November 2013

stop labelling people with severe and enduring mental illness when the treatment doesn't work

I am fed up with the labelling by the psychiatric system.  

"severe and enduring mental illness" (self-fulfilling prophecy, the system has failed so let's blame the person)

"treatment resistant" (treatment doesn't work, drugs don't work, system failure)

"schizophrenic"  (stigmatising label, separating the wheat from the chaff, unacceptable IMO)

"difficult and demanding mother" (blaming mothers for system failure)

"non-compliant" (non-conformist in real life, only way to survive)

"without capacity" (reason for forcing treatment and drugs on to a non-conformist person)

"bipolar disorder" (caused by psychiatric treatment)


  • Wrong tools for the job

  • Paradigm shift needed  

  • Away from system control to person-centred working  

  • Self-directed support

  • Rights protected















2 comments:

  1. Hi there, I was wondering what you meant when you said psychiatric treatment caused bipolar. I'm asking because I was on antidepressants several years ago, got better, and in the years that followed have displayed what I suspect are bipolar symptoms. Good therapy has helped and I have absolutely refused to see a doctor as there is no way I am going back on psychiatric medication, but I was surprised to read that there might be a connection between the previous treatment with antidepressants and these enduring episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello. It's my opinion that the massive rise in the bipolar disorder label has been caused by psychiatric drug treatment. That the drugs themselves can cause mood swings in the people who take them or muck about with their moods, if you like. Therefore it's difficult to know the real reason for the so-called "disorder".

      Great that you could access good therapy. Not everyone is able to do that because of waiting lists or cost. So folk will take another pill or a different pill which can compound the issue, I believe.

      I've had psychoses on three occasions and the anti-psychotics forced on me made me depressed, took away my sense of humour, hope, singing voice. On the last occasion I was given an anti-depressant which didn't work then lithium which also didn't work. Flat as a pancake. So I had to take charge of my own mental health, taper the drugs and recover. Against the advice of psychiatrists. I made a full recovery and got back on with my life in 2004/5.

      I don't experience mood swings or depression although I do get annoyed and irritable at times in my role as an activist and campaigner. But that's just life. So I eat something or write a blog post or tweet, then I feel better.

      I think a person has to explore and consider their own situation regarding "bipolar symptoms" or mood swings or existential considerations (why are we here, what's it all about, why do I bother? etc). We all get these thoughts from time to time. Again it's part of living, to wonder about the scheme of things. In my opinion.

      Thanks for commenting, all the best, Chrys

      Delete